Friday, March 16, 2007

Discussion over Dinner

Surprise! At our next meeting we heard the knock on the door, opened it, and there was Lisa and a new friend of her's. The new person, I'll call her June, said "Hello, I want to learn the Bible too!"

"Great, come on in" I welcomed them into our home.


This meeting was being squeezed in between School and Work for them, so Supper time was the only time we could me. Sara and I had planned on having two people over, but June showing up rather than Mary was a surprise.

I had given Mary and Lisa handouts to introduce them to Abraham for the last week. Lisa brought hers with her and we went over them briefly. After that, I wanted to assess where the students were at through discussion. Having a new student with us, it was important to know what she knew. Surprisingly, she was fairly familiar with the material. Some of her time using the Bible was in her native country, while in the US she has studied a little with Mary and Lisa.

About 20 minutes into our time together, Mary showed up, so we all squeezed into our tiny kitchen and began a review of the past few weeks so everyone could be on the same page. Before moving on we got stuck on the "fall of man" topic again. Sara and I tried to encompass the free will of man as well as the sinful nature of man to describe the paid God experienced at the time. I could tell Mary was still having a tough time with it, trying to understand how God, our Creator, could also be God, the destroyer of life. I told Mary I'd be happy to find some more material on the issue from experts who understand it more than i do.

Before we knew it, our time was up. I pray we can get past this and that God will provide understanding of this tough part of man's history.

No comments: